Sponsored Links

Your Guide to the U.S. Passport and Hawaii Travel

Many travelers wonder if they need a US passport to go to Hawaii. Many residents may ponder this question because Hawaii is far away from the continental United States. However, this island state is technically part of the U.S. For these reasons, you generally do not need to submit a passport application before you fly to Hawaii.

Currently, U.S. citizens do not need to obtain a US passport card or book before they go to Hawaii. However, it is always beneficial for travelers to have these federally-recognized documents with them. The following sections explain some of the reasons why these documents are helpful. Likewise, additional sections outline alternative documentation travelers can bring if they do not have federal passport documents.

Do you need a passport to go to Hawaii from the continental U.S.?

Usually, you do not need to apply for a passport before you fly domestically. Generally, a passport book or card is only necessary if you fly to a foreign country. Since Hawaii is one of the nation’s 50 states, no passport is needed for Hawaii. In most situations, you should be able to present your valid U.S. driver’s license or non-driver’s card when you pass through airport security. However, if you have a US passport, you should bring it along as well. This document helps to eliminate any confusion when you are at the airport.

Sponsored Links

Do I need to use my US passport to travel if I do not have a REAL ID?

Even if you travel domestically, there are some instances in the future when you could need to take your US passport with you. This is especially true if you do not have a REAL ID driver’s license. The REAL ID initiative was put in place to help make state licenses more secure. If you live in a state that issues compliant licenses, such as Florida or Ohio, you can fly throughout the country with your driver’s license. However, some states have extensions. By October 2020, you must have a compliant license or else you must fly with a federal passport. A few of the states that are still under extensions include:

  • Maine.
  • Virginia.
  • Montana.
  • Illinois.