Your Guide to Federal Form DS 2029

The DS 2029 form is a document that applicants may need to fill out when they request passports for their children who were born abroad. Officially, this document is called the Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA). Families may need to request these passport application supplements if the parents are U.S. citizens who need to verify these birthrights are extended to their children. This document is necessary when citizens who were born abroad need to apply for a passport. Likewise, the CRBA is useful in any other circumstances where potential applicants must be citizens to apply for enrollment or acceptance into a government program or school.

The U.S. Department of State is in charge of processing your DS 2029 application request. Therefore, you need to submit your application directly to this department. The sections below outline the process you must complete in order to file your request with the federal government. It is important that you understand the application expectations before you fill out your documents so that you can increase the chances that your request will be accepted. The Department of State is likely to reject your DS 2029 request if it is not properly filled out. In order to avoid this, you need to have a thorough understanding of application requirements before you submit your document.

When should I start to fill out the DS 2029 application?

Generally, most individuals submit their DS 2029 application before their children turn 18 years of age. This helps to eliminate any ambiguity regarding the minors’ citizenship before they become adults. Furthermore, it is most helpful for parents to submit Form DS 2029 as soon as their children are born. This ensures that applicants obtain their children’s CRBA, which is also called Form FS-240, as soon as possible. However, citizens must remember that there are no official deadlines that they need to meet regarding when they should submit these requests.

Where can I find Form DS 2029?

You should be able to find a DS 2029 editable PDF document online. A link to this document is available on the State Department’s federal website, which you can visit if you have access to the internet. Since you will be entering private information in this federal document, be sure that your internet connection is secure. On the other hand, you may be able to print a blank copy of the DS 2029 application by downloading and printing it. With this option, you are responsible for writing your responses into the paper version of this document.

Keep in mind that when you write your answers into this US passport application supplement, you need to use block letters. Also, be sure to only use black ink when you fill out this document. Furthermore, ensure that you only print your document on standard letter-size paper. This is true whether you fill out your DS 2029 form using the fillable option online or print the PDF and write your answers in by hand.

What information do I need to include in Form DS 2029?

Form DS 2029 is an extensive document. There are various sections of this form that applicants need to complete, and these questions usually relate to the child applicant and his or her parents. This document’s purpose is to help the federal government gain a more comprehensive understanding of whether or not an individual qualifies to receive a CRBA. With this in mind, applicants should be prepared to answer the following types of questions on their DS 2029:

  • Information about the child: One of the first pieces of information that needs to be recorded in this document is information about the child applicant who was born abroad. Specifically, individuals need to report their child’s name, date of birth and birth place.
  • Parental information: Applicants’ parents also need to report their names, dates of birth and birth places. On Form DS 2029, these adults must also disclose the physical addresses where they are currently residing. Likewise, individuals also need to provide their mailing addresses and information relating to whether or not they were married and when.
  • Citizenship information: When adults are wondering how to fill out Form DS 2029, they must know that they will need to provide information about their citizenship statuses. In particular, individuals need to disclose if they were U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals when their children were born.
  • Time in the United States: Parents need to provide detailed records regarding how long they have been in the United States. Likewise, individuals need to report the places they stayed when they visited the United States, as well as the exact dates they were in the country.

Do I need an appointment to submit DS 2029?

Once you prepare your DS 2029 application, you are required to participate in an interview with a State Department representative. Specifically, you need to meet with:

  • A representative at the U.S. embassy.
  • An official at the consulate or consular agency.
  • A military acceptance agent.

These conversations are mandatory for all petitioners who submit a DS 2029 application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad. During their appointments, applicants may need to answer questions relating to their citizenship eligibility. Likewise, individuals should note that these meetings serve as a time for them to sign their applications in the presence of government officials. The Department of State cannot process these requests unless they are notarized.

What documents should I bring to my DS 2029 appointment?

When you come to submit Form DS 2029 at your CRBA appointment, be prepared to bring additional documents with you. Specifically, you will need to bring:

  • Your child’s birth certificate.
  • Proof of you and your child’s other parent’s identity and nationality.
  • Proof that you and the child’s other parent lived in the U.S. before the child was born.
  • Your marriage certificate, if you have one.
  • Divorce records and other relevant documents that show your previous marriages ended, if applicable.
  • Documents that prove guardianship, if you are not the child’s parent.