How to Apply for a Passport Using Form DS 11
The DS 11 form is an important document that international travelers are likely to encounter before they go abroad. This is the form that U.S. citizens across the country must fill out in order to obtain their passport card or book. Generally, children and first-time adult applicants need to apply using this form before they can obtain their travel documents. However, there are other circumstances that could require adults who want to renew their passports to use passport form DS 11. This is usually the case when adults have lost their passports, or if they have an expired passport that is more than 15 years old.
Even if you are in the early stages of learning how to apply for a passport, you have probably already encountered this form. The passport DS 11 document may seem intimidating to fill out if you have never applied for government-issued identification before. However, the application process is simpler than it seems. This is especially true if you gather your information and application materials beforehand. The following sections provide you with an understanding of how you can obtain the DS-11 form, what information you need when filling it out and where you can submit the document when you are finished. By understanding the steps it takes to submit your US passport application, you should have a greater chance of properly filing this request on your first attempt.
Where to Find the DS 11 Form
Before applicants can learn where to apply for a passport, they must find copies of DS-11 so they can fill out their requests. The DS 11 form is available in various locations, which makes this application accessible to as many individuals as possible. One of the first places applicants may go to look for this document is on the U.S. Department of State’s website.
Requesters who have access to the internet at home or at a public facility can find copies of form DS 11 online. On the government’s website, applicants have the ability to download a PDF version of this document, print it and write their answers in the appropriate fields. Alternatively, individuals who would prefer not to write their responses may complete the form using the DS 11 fillable application. However, applicants who take advantage of this option must still print and deliver their documents to the passport office once they complete it.
You may also be able to find a blank copy of the DS 11 application at a passport acceptance facility. These office locations are usually located in government buildings, which can include federal facilities or post offices. If you are wondering, “Is there a passport office near me?” you can find this information on the Department of State’s website. However, you may need to call your nearest office and confirm that it has applications available once you locate a facility close to you.
What questions do they ask on the DS 11 form?
There are various questions that applicants need to answer when they fill out the DS 11 US passport application form. However, these documents are straightforward, and individuals should be prepared to provide the following information in their applications:
- Full legal name Date of birth
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Contact information
- Information about past passports
What documents do I need to apply for a US passport?
Once you complete the DS 11 form, there are certain items you need to submit alongside your application. These documents include:
- Proof of citizenship – Expect to bring an original document and a photocopy of a form that shows you are a U.S. citizen. Examples of items that fulfill this requirement include birth certificates, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or naturalization documents.
- Photo identification – When you submit your passport application, bring a government-issued photo identification document with you. This could include an in-state driver’s license, U.S. military ID or a U.S. permanent resident card. Similar to the proof of citizenship, you must also bring front and back copies of this document.
- Passport-compliant photo – Bring a colored passport photo when you come to the US passport office. This image must be 2x2 inches in size, and it needs to be printed on glossy or matte paper. In the picture, you must be facing forward, and no part of your face can be obscured. You also cannot be wearing glasses, unless you can provide a medical note that explains why you cannot remove them.
- Payment – There are specific application fees you must pay when you submit passport form DS 11. These amounts vary depending whether you are an adult or child and if you are requesting a US passport card or book. Additionally, be prepared to pay an acceptance fee, which costs $35. You can pay with a check or money order.
Children who want to apply for a US passport have additional documentation they need to submit along with their requests. Generally, this relates to custodial consent forms. In any case, parents or guardians who accompany their children to obtain these travel documents should be prepared to show personal identification and proof of relationship to their children.
How to Submit Passport Form DS 11
Once you complete the passport DS 11 form and gather all of your associated documents, you may submit your application. If you are a first-time applicant, you will likely need to submit your request at one of the passport office locations that are available throughout the country. Alternatively, if you would prefer to apply from home, you can apply for your passport online using a trusted third party.
Regardless of the method applicants choose, they have the opportunity to request an expedited passport so they can receive their documents quickly. This option is especially appealing to individuals who have upcoming travel plans and cannot wait the standard processing times that are usually associated with passport requests. However, applicants must be aware that there are additional fees they need to pay when they have a US passport expedited. These amounts can vary depending on how quickly requesters need their documents.