Your Guide to Staples Passport Photo Services
Staples passport photo services are available to travelers who need to obtain their federal identification documents. Before people can receive their IDs and go abroad, they need to apply for a passport. To accomplish this, they must bring a government-approved passport photo with them. Applicants are responsible for obtaining this image on their own. However, they may be able to use a Staples printing center when they are ready to print their pictures.
If you are wondering where to get passport photos printed, Staples may be a good option for you. However, be aware that there are certain limitations regarding the types of services you can receive at this facility. The following sections explain what you can expect when you visit Staples for your passport photo needs, as well as how much you can expect to pay.
Can I get my passport photos taken at Staples?
Currently, you cannot get your passport pictures taken at Staples. This means that if you want to use the Staples printing services, you must obtain the photo on your own. Fortunately, many pharmacies, retail stores and shipping centers offer passport photo services. If you make sure to follow the directions in the following section carefully, you can even save money and take the photo yourself. Once you have this image, you can bring a digital copy to Staples and print it there.
US Passport Photo Requirements
Before you can print a passport photo at Staples, you need to have your photo taken. One of the most economical ways to do this is by taking your own passport picture. While you cannot submit a selfie to the U.S. Department of State (DOS), there are some ways you and another person can take an approved photo. First, be sure that you are situated in front of a white or off-white background. The federal government will reject images that are in front of colored backgrounds.
Next, be sure that you are using a quality camera because US passport photos need to be clear. You also need to be sure that there are no shadows covering your face. Therefore, it is important that you take your photo in a place where the lighting is good. Once you meet these prerequisites, you can focus on how you position your body and what you need to wear. The passport photo requirements you must meet are outlined below:
- Central position – Your head must be in the center of the photo, and you must be facing forward. If you are seated at an angle, the State Department will likely be unable to use the image.
- Neutral expression – You must sit naturally when your picture is taken. You may not make humorous faces. However, you can have a slight smile.
- Typical clothing – Passport photo rules state that you must be wearing the same types of clothes in your photo that you usually wear. Do not take your picture in an extravagant outfit, and avoid wearing distracting shirts or jewelry.
- Head coverings – Generally, you cannot wear anything in your photo that covers your head. However, if you cannot remove the garment for religious or health purposes, submit an official note with your DS-11 passport application that explains why.
- Glasses – You cannot wear glasses in your passport photo. However, if you have a medical reason that prohibits you from removing these items, submit a doctor’s note with your application that verifies this.
- Headphones – You may not wear headphones or similar devices in your picture.
Staples Passport Photo Printing Services
Staples printing services are available to applicants who already have their image. Individuals who choose to use Staples’ self-printing services need to be sure that their pictures meet the federal government’s regulations. Specifically, these photos must be:
- 2x2 inches.
- Printed on glossy or matte photo paper.
- Undamaged, meaning they are not bent or have holes in them.
- Unaltered, aside from basic red-eye removal.
When you are ready to print your passport photo at Staples, you must bring a digital copy of your image. At the store, you can print your picture from an email. Alternatively, you can retrieve your photo from the cloud if it is stored in a place such as Google Drive or Dropbox. In any case, know that you need to cut out your image when you receive it. This is due to the fact that it will likely be printed on standard-sized paper.
How much does it cost to print a US passport photo at Staples?
If you want to print cheap passport photos, Staples may be a good store for you to visit. However, the price you can expect to pay will vary depending on the amount of copies you need to print. Keep in mind, though, that you only need to submit one picture with your application. If you already have your picture, you will typically only need to pay a few cents to print it.