Sponsored Links

U.S. Passport Rules for Travel to the Dominican Republic

Before you take part in any Dominican Republic travel, you should obtain a valid US passport. This internationally-recognized document proves to foreign governments that you are a U.S. citizen. Without this ID, you may be denied entry into countries throughout your travels. For these reasons, it is important that you file a passport application before you go to the Dominican Republic.

The following sections explain Dominican Republic passport rules that all travelers need to learn about. Furthermore, additional sections outline specific DR entry requirements and exit rules that individuals need to know. Whether travelers are taking cruises or flying into the country, there are certain passport regulations they must follow.

Do you need a passport to go to Dominican Republic?

You must apply for a passport and receive your federal ID before you go to the Dominican Republic. No matter how you travel to the country, you will likely need to present your passport to border agents there. If you are preparing to go on a cruise soon and did not realize you needed this document, you can submit an expedited passport request. If you plan on leaving within the next two weeks, you may even be able to file this application at a nearby US passport agency facility. When you arrive in the Dominican Republic, you must have at least one blank stamp page in your passport.

Sponsored Links

Passport Requirements When You Return to the U.S. from the DR

Passport requirements for your reentry into the United States vary, depending on how you arrive. If you fly back to the United States from the Dominican Republic, you must have a valid passport book with you. However, if you return to the United States by entering the same U.S. port you left through on a cruise, this may not always be necessary. In these closed loop cruise situations, you may not need to present a valid US passport. Instead, you may be able to reenter the United States with your:

  • Birth certificate and driver’s license.
  • Passport card.
  • Enhanced driver’s license (EDL).