How To Renew A Passport

This page povides information on how to renew a passport. You must meet the following requirements to be able to renew your most recent US passport by mail:

Apply For US Passport By Mail

Submit Most Recent US Passport Book or Card

When you submit your US passport book and or card using the Form DS-82 you need to first verify the document was issued at age 16 or older and issued within the past 15 years. Your old passport book and or card will be sent back to you through the mail and it may end up in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Submit Copy Of Marriage Certificate Or Court Order For Name Change

If your current name on your US passport you must then submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order showing the change of name. All documents will be returned to you by mail.

Pay Passport Renewal Application Fee

The $25 Execution Fee is not required with the Form DS-82. Enclose the fee in the form of a personal check or money order. Make checks payable to "US Department of State." The full name and date of birth of the applicant must be typed or printed on the front of the check. Do not send Cash. They are not responsible for cash sent through the mail.

Expedite Service
For an additional fee, you may request expedited service. Please include this fee in your payment. Expedited service is only available in the United States. It is recommended that you use overnight delivery when submitting the application. Please include the appropriate overnight delivery fees with your payment. Passports cannot be mailed overnight to Canada.

Provide One Passport Photo

To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the requirements and is properly submitted with your application. When attaching passport photo to Form DS-82 be sure you:

Mail Passport Renewal Application

The mailing address is different for Expedite Service Requests and Routine Service Requests.

Expedite Service
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope and mail the completed application to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Routine Service
Mail the completed application to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

When mailing your passport application
It is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8" x 9 1/2") envelope. This will help to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process. They strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method

Requesting a Larger Passport Book When Renewing

If you travel frequently, you may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost. To request a larger passport book, check the 52 page box at the top of your passport application. Please note, they are able to honor most requests for larger passport books, but due to supply limitations they cannot guarantee you will be issued a larger passport book.

Newly issued passport books are delivered via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for overnight delivery return service at time of application. All passport cards will be returned using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery.

International travelers may need to apply for a US passport renewal in the years after they first receive their federal identification documentation. However, many petitioners do not know how to renew a passport card or book. This process can be overwhelming to applicants, especially because they usually need to complete these tasks in preparation for an upcoming trip abroad. When operating under such tight deadlines, it can be easy for individuals to become anxious about filing their renewal forms in time.

Many applicants who ask, “How do I renew my passport?” do not realize that this process is simpler than it may seem. Furthermore, petitioners who diligently prepare for this task and take the time to prepare their materials beforehand should notice that this step is easier to complete than they anticipated. The following sections explain what types of passport renewal forms applicants need to obtain, how they can submit their requests and the application fees they need to pay. By having a clear understanding of program rules and procedures, petitioners should find that this renewal process is simpler than they imagined.

Can I renew expired passport documents?

Travelers may worry that they cannot renew an expired passport but they can easily complete the process. Similar to passports that have not yet expired, candidates have the opportunity to renew either their passport cards or books and it does not matter if these documents are already expired. In any case, applicants need to remember that, whether their passports are expired or not, there are some situations that can make them unable to renew these documents. Specifically, if the following situations apply to applicants, they cannot renew US passport documents and, instead, will need to obtain new ones:

  • User’s age: Passport holders who obtained their documents before they were 16 years of age cannot renew these documents.
  • Issue date: Candidates whose most recent passports were issued over 15 years ago may not renew their cards and books.
  • Damaged or lost: Applicants are ineligible to submit a passport renewal form and obtain updated documentation if their current documents were stolen, lost or damaged.
  • Name changes: If individuals changed their names since they last applied for their expired passports, they cannot renew these documents unless they provide legal proof of their name changes.

However, candidates who are curious about the US passport renewal process need to remember that they cannot complete this task if their documentation expired more than five years ago. In these cases, applicants will need to apply for new passports altogether.

Where can I find a passport renewal form?

Petitioners will need to obtain a passport renewal form regardless of whether they apply in person at an approved location or through the mail. Generally, candidates can find a form to renew a passport online, and they must download and print these documents. There is no method available that allows applicants to submit these documents through a web portal. Through the federal government’s website, candidates can obtain the DS-82, which is the U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals who are able to submit these documents through the mail. Generally, candidates can renew US passports with this document if they:

  • Currently possess their most recent passports and submit these documents along with their renewal applications.
  • Received their most recent passports after they turned 16 years old, but also within the past 15 years.
  • Have passports that have not been damaged beyond normal use.
  • Can prove their name changes occurred legally, if applicable.

Alternatively, children wondering how to renew a passport must remember that they need to use a different form. This document, Form DS-11, is also available online. Adults who are unable to use DS-82 may also use this application form. However, candidates who do not have access to the internet or computers may be able to obtain these documents at their local passport facility.

Where can adults submit a US passport renewal application?

Depending on applicants’ situations, they may be eligible to submit their passport renewal forms by mail or in person. This is especially true for individuals who are 16 years of age or older. In many cases, petitioners renew their passports using Form DS-82. This is the form that applicants use when they want to renew their documents through the mail. However, candidates must meet the aforementioned requirements to use this application and apply remotely. Candidates who do not meet all of these requirements must submit their US passport renewal application in person using the DS-11.

Passport Renewal Fee and Wait Time for Adults

Individuals who are at least 16 years of age must pay a passport renewal fee to obtain these new documents. These fees are as follows:

  • $30: Passport card
  • $110: Passport book
  • $140: Passport card and book

Furthermore, candidates may wonder, “How long does it take to renew a passport?” This timeframe varies, depending on how quickly applicants need these documents. In standard cases, petitioners should expect that this process will take several weeks. However, applicants can expedite a passport renewal processes through trusted, third-party providers if they need their documents quickly. In any case, candidates need to keep in mind that this extra service comes with additional fees, which also vary, depending on when applicants need their passports.

Where can children submit a US passport renewal application?

All children must submit their US passport renewal form in person at a passport office or similar facility. Individuals who are younger than 16 years of age do not have the opportunity to submit these documents through the mail and they must visit these government facilities in person to apply for renewal.

Passport Renewal Fee and Wait Time for Children

Similar to adults, the passport renewal fee and wait time for these documents varies, depending on the types of passports they need and how quickly they must have this documentation. Generally, candidates can expect to pay the following amounts when they submit their passport renewal form:

  • $15: Passport card
  • $80: Passport book
  • $95: Passport card and book

Additionally, child applicants need to pay execution or acceptance fees in addition to their standard US passport renewal fee. These fees are an extra $35, regardless of the types of documents the applicants are renewing.